AFCC-O News From 2016
In 2016, Andrea Himel served as President, and the Honourable Madam Justice Gerri Wong served as President-elect. As of November 1, 2016 AFCC-O had 444 members.
Several AFCC-O conferences and educational events on important issues took place across the province, including:
- In February, the Kingston Group held an event at Queens University entitled Domestic Violence & Concurrent Proceedings;
- In March, the AFCC-O and the Ontario Psychological Association held a joint event in Toronto featuring our Adult Children of Divorce DVD;
- The Child Protection Lawyers Group held an event in Toronto—Speaking From Experience, Lessons from Experienced Child Protection Practitioners;
- In May and September, there were Adult Children of Divorce Evening Forums in Brampton, arranged by Peel Family Mediation Services and AFCC-O;
- In May, a Windsor Roundtable discussion and dinner series event, High Conflict Divorce—Working with the families who need our help the most,was hosted by Suzor Family Law & Mediation, Bridging Family Conflict, and AFCC-O;
- In September, as part of the Windsor Roundtable discussion and dinner series, Shared Custody, was hosted by Suzor Family Law & Mediation, Bridging Family Conflict, and AFCC-O;
- In October, the 8th Annual AGM & Conference Navigating the Steps to Family Resolutions: New Directions in a State of Uncertainty took place in Toronto with 313 attendees! The Pre-Conference Institute was entitled Expert Witnesses: Achieving Success in Examination and Cross-Examination;
- In November, the New Child Protection Lawyers Group hosted Developing and Managing Your Legal Practice in Toronto; and
- Also in November, the Windsor Roundtable discussion and dinner series held another event The Road Ahead hosted bySuzor Family Law & Mediation, Bridging Family Conflict, and AFCC-O.
- In addition to all of the foregoing education for professionals, AFCC-O’s the Walsh Family Law Moot and Negotiation Competition for law students was held in March.
AFCC-O continued to fund research initiatives, two of which were completed in 2016. AFCC-O shared their news and accomplishments in our two newsletters published in the Spring and Fall, and sent monthly e-blast e-mails to our members.
Written by: Maxine M. Kerr, AFCC-O Secretary in 2018